“An RYA Yachtmaster™ Certificate of Competence is often the ultimate aim of aspiring skippers. It is a well known, highly respected qualification worldwide, proving your experience and competence as a skipper”
This is an intensive preparation week before taking the RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore Examination is proficient to skipper a sailing yacht on any passage during which the vessel is no more than 150 miles from a safe haven.
The practical portion of the RYA system is composed of the Yachtmaster Coastal and Yachtmaster Offshore course which is held over a period of 5 consecutive days onboard, with daytime and nighttime navigation, to refine and review existing skills and to develop skills to manage the vessel using the best practices to the appropriate level of competence in areas such as sailing of the vessel in different weather conditions, Man Over Board exercises, leadership and management of the crew, provisioning, safety on board, navigation exercises such as blind navigation and passage planning, the diesel engine, and other situations one might encounter as a skipper. All this while we review general theory concepts, International Rules for Preventing Collisions at Sea, communications, and terminology.
Prerequisites to the course
- There is a minimum age of 18 to take the exam.
- 50 days aboard, 5 days as skipper
- 2500 miles logged, half of it in tidal water
- 5 passages of over 60 miles including 2 overnight and 2 as skipper
- VHF radio operator’s certificate
- Elementary First Aid certificate ( IMO STCW’95/10 or RYA )
- Before attending the “Yacth Master Prep week”, you should have a deeply knowledge of all the topics of the “ Coastal Skipper & Yachtmaster Theory course”, if you do not have it, you can take a “Coastal Skipper & Yachtmaster Theory course” course online. We suggest you to sign up with Navathome.
For 7 days (5 prep. & 2-exam) 8 nights on board: Euro 1150 per person. This includes examiner booking and expenses. This does NOT include the RYA exam fee.
Maximum number of students for each course 4
What’s Included Fee
Accommodation on board, mooring fees, fuel
For details of what you should bring please refer to the FAQ’s section.
Elan 40, 12 meters, cruising racer with 3 cabins and two heads